Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pompeii


Call it morbid, but I've had a fascination with the disaster at the city of Pompeii ever since reading about it in a DK kids book about natural disasters at the age of seven. The fact that so many people were encased in ash, their last moments preserved in a mold, is so darkly poetic to me, I've always found it very interesting. That's why this article stood out to me so much. The article talks about an exhibit in the National Museum of Singapore that displays many artifacts from Pompeii and details life in the city before its ruin. The thing that caught my attention was the picture of the cast of a man's final moments. It's frightening, but something that sparks my interest, and if this exhibit comes to Nashville anytime soon, I WILL be seeing it. 

1 comment:

  1. I've always been a bit obsessed with Pompeii as well, and I'm pretty sure I read that same DK book back in the day. The fact that everything from the city is basically "frozen in time" is so strange and fascinating. At the end of the article it said that there was even a preservation of a dog... so bizarrely awesome. I had no clue about this exhibit, so thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete